When using any browser, information about the sites you visit is saved. The entire history is displayed in cookies called cookies as well as in the cache. We will tell you how to clear cache and cookies in popular browsers. This will help to erase your history of actions on the Internet, as well as solve some problems with loading pages of sites and their display.
Why cookies and cache are needed
Before proceeding to the instructions for removing cache and cookies, we’ll figure out why these two components are generally needed:
- cache - pictures and other content from visited sites are stored in the cache memory. Due to this, on the next visits, the loading of pages will be faster.
- cookies - files created by visited sites. They increase the comfort of web surfing, as they store authentication data, personal preferences, statistics on previous visits, as well as personal user settings.
As you can see, these are pretty useful things. However, if your task is to achieve maximum anonymity on the Internet, then it’s better to figure out how to delete the cache and cookies.
Below you will find detailed instructions for all popular browsers.
How to clear cookies in Chrome
To remove cache and cookie in Chrome, follow these steps:
- Open a browser on your device.
- Next, “Configure and manage Google Chrome.”
- Hover over “More tools”, then click on the line to “Clear browsing data…”.
- Set the “All Time” option from the list provided.
- Set all three checkboxes.
- It remains only to press the blue button.
How to clear cache in Mozilla
To quickly remove cache and cookies in Firefox, follow the instructions:
- Click "Open Menu."
- Click on the "Options" panel.
- Select the “Privacy & Security” category on the left.
- Scroll down the page a little to “Cookies and site data”.
- Click "Clear Data."
- Place two birds and select “Clear”.
- Confirm your decision using the "Delete Now" button.
To remove automatically in the future, place a bird as shown below:
How to clear cache in Explorer
For example, consider this process in IE 11. To erase cache and cookies in Explorer, follow the step-by-step instructions:
- Open a browser.
- Simultaneously press the key combination “Alt + X” or go to “Tools”.
- Hover over “Safety”.
- Select the action "Delete browser history ...".
- Place the birds at the three points, as shown in the screenshot:
- Click “Delete” to complete the operation.
How to clear cookies in Opera
Necessary steps to clear cache and cookies in Opera:
- Press the key combination “Alt + P” in the browser or go to the Opera menu and then to “Settings”.
- Go to "Privacy & Security".
- Click on "Clear browsing history."
- Select the “All time” item and check all the boxes (three out of three), as shown in the screenshot.
- Press the blue “Clear data” button.
How to clear cache and cookies in Safari
If you need to clean only the cache, then follow the instructions:
- Launch a browser.
- Click on the Safari section.
- Go to "Settings".
- Click on the "Add-ons" tab.
- Check the box next to "Show the" Development "menu in the menu bar."
- Close your browser settings and go to the new section called “Develop”.
- Select "Empty Caches".
Here is an article about how to configure proxies on Safari.
How to clean cookies and other information
Cookies and other data are cleared in the Safari browser as follows:
- Open Safari.
- Go to "Settings".
- Go to "Confidentiality".
- Select “Manage Website Data”.
- Click on the "Delete All" button, and then "Delete Now."
What happens after deleting cache and cookie
Clearing the cache and cookies in the browser will lead to the following consequences:
- settings of some websites, for example, logins and passwords for authorization, will be deleted;
- if synchronization is enabled, then the browser files will be erased on your other devices;
- on some sites, the speed of loading some pages may decrease, because pictures and other content will be reloaded.
Now you know how to clear cookies and cache in popular browsers. If you are using or are only going to use proxies for anonymity on the Internet, you should know one more important point. Through cookies and cache, third-party software can track information about you and your browsing history. If anonymity is important to you, it is better to delete the cookie and cache after each session in the browser through a proxy.
Take a look at how to disable flash in popular browsers.