If you continue to use Web Real Time Communication technology, other Internet users will be able to track your personal data, in particular, your IP address. If there is no need to use this network protocol, it is better to disable WebRTC. Below we will describe in detail how to disable WebRTC in 5 popular browsers: Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari and Yandex.Browser (for CIS).
Benefits of disabling WebRTC
The greatest troubles Web Real Time Communication will deliver to those users who care about their anonymity and security when working on the Internet. Yes, this technology is beneficial in terms of the convenience of sending audio and video streams, transferring data from the browser directly to mobile devices. But at the same time, WebRTC reveals the user's real IP address, which casts doubt on personal privacy on the network.
It will be doubly unpleasant for those who use paid proxy servers. Without disabling WebRTC in the browser, the user's real IP address will be revealed even when using third-party tools to hide personal data.
How to disable WebRTC in Google Chrome
Follow the instructions:
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- In the upper right corner, find the browser menu - three vertical dots. Press it.
- Move the cursor over the “More Tools” submenu.
- Select the “Extensions” option.
- After opening the list with installed extensions, click on the main menu of this section - three horizontally located strips, which are located in the upper left corner.
- Click on the “Open Chrome Web Store” button.
- In the "Search the store" field, enter the name of the plugin "WebRTC Control" to quickly find the software you need.
- Click first on the first highlighted extension, and then on the "Install" button.
- Confirm your desire to install the plugin by clicking on the corresponding button.
- After that, the automatic installation of the extension will start. It activates on its own, so you don't need to do anything else.
Adjust plugin enable / disable by clicking on its icon in the extensions panel. If it's colored, it works. When gray - disabled.
How to disable WebRTC in Opera
To deactivate this technology in your browser, follow the instructions below.
6 steps to disable WebRTC in Opera:
- Launch your browser.
- Google "Addons store for Opera" and follow the appropriate link.
- In the add-on search engine, find the "WebRTC Control" program.
- Click the green "Add to Opera" button to install the software to disable WebRTC.
- The plugin will automatically launch, blocking WebRTC on your computer.
- To check the plug-in activity, click on the "Extensions" icon, which is made in the form of a cube.
If the extension logo is displayed in color, then the software is working. Its colorless display will indicate that the plugin is disabled.
How to disable WebRTC in Mozilla Firefox
To disable WebRTC technology in Firefox, follow the instructions:
- Open your browser.
- Enter the phrase "about:config" in the address bar.
- Press Enter.
- Confirm your intention to go to the browser settings editor by clicking the blue "Accept risk and continue" button.
- Enter the value "media.peerconnection.enabled" in the search bar that appears.
- Click on the icon on the right side to switch options.
- Check for the appearance of the inscription "False" instead of "True".
How to disable WebRTC in Safari
To disable WebRTC technology in this browser, follow the instructions below:
- Open Safari and click on the "Safari" menu item.
- Go to "Settings".
- Go to the "Advanced" tab and put a check mark next to the item "Show the Develop menu in the menu bar".
- After that, a new section "Develop" will appear, click on it.
- Move the cursor over the “Experimental Features” option.
- Uncheck the "Remove Legacy WebRTC API" line.
Done. You have disabled this option in the Safari browser.
How to disable WebRTC in Yandex.Browser
To solve this problem, you need to take a few simple steps:
- Start Yandex Browser.
- Search through a search engine for an online store of extensions for the Opera or Google Chrome browser - their products both are suitable for Yandex.Browser.
- Enter the name of the software you need “WebRTC control” into the plugin store search engine.
- Click the button to install the extension.
- Confirm the installation of the extension if a confirmation window appears.
The plugin will automatically start working when it is installed on your browser. If you need to disable it in the future, just click on its icon, which is located on the plugins panel.
You have a theoretical base for answering the question of how to disable WebRTC in a browser now. Follow the instructions provided above to solve this problem quickly and correctly.